Serving within the Research Faculty of Georgia Tech, this position directly supports the extension, service, and economic development missions of Georgia Tech to the State of Georgia and beyond. Primarily this position serves within the Georgia Tech MEP (Manufacturing Extension Partnership) of the Enterprise Innovation Institute (EI2). Engineering Project Managers are responsible for initiating, conducting, reporting and follow-up of technical projects for the focused (but not exclusive) client customer base defined as the small to mid-size manufacturer (<500 employees). EI2 Engineering Project Mgrs. are expected to manage projects independently and report measurable outcomes through internal metric reporting systems required by federal sponsors. This specific position will report to the Group Manager for Energy and Sustainability Services in the Georgia Tech MEP and will be expected to have a strong background in industrial energy management. Service delivery will focus on conducting energy assessments, optimizing energy systems and implementing energy management systems like ISO 50001.
- Project initiation, execution, and delivery. In general, this includes, but is not limited to, evaluating client needs, facilitating groups for identifying and solving problems, collaborating with appropriate constituents to meet project objectives/requirements, assigning and/or performing project follow-up activities, and presenting project findings/recommendations.
- Build new relationships with industry and corporate clients to engage stakeholders in areas that are aligned with Institute research and education initiatives.
- Leverage Institute resources and use knowledge of industry research environments to tailor partnership models that drive a culture of open innovation and enterprise transformation.
- Promote/facilitate interactions that increase program investments/sponsorships.
- Serve as liaison to the Georgia Tech Technology transfer and commercialization offices.
- Participate in professional development activities (self-study and/or formal classes).
- Perform organizational administrative tasks, and other related duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Technology, or related/relevant field.
- At least five years in manufacturing, or other job-related experience (or equivalent combination of education and work experience).
- This job requires working knowledge of general manufacturing processes as well as ability to perform sales, marketing, and customer service from a consulting delivery perspective. This job also requires public speaking/presentation, classroom training, process analysis and problem-solving, as well as use of standard office equipment and specialized computer applications. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate a reputable track record in project management with an ability to interpret/present data in logical and client-understandable fashion.
- Incumbents in this position are expected to travel, as needed, and remain flexible to on-site daily service delivery hours (due to client shift schedules and/or project requirements).
- Preferred Education: Masters Degree in related/relevant field and/ or MBA. Certified Practitioner in Energy Management Systems (CP EnMS), Certified Energy Manager (CEM),
- Preferred Skills/Work Experience: Industrial energy management, experience with ISO 50001 and other ISO management systems
- Preferred applicant backgrounds include: Experience in manufacturing-related consultative service delivery; experience as a provider of energy management services with a track record of measureable success; managing or auditing ISO 50001 systems and background in teaching adults and course facilitation.
The Georgia Manufacturing Extension Partnership (GaMEP) helps manufacturers increase top-line growth and reduce bottom-line costs. With nine regional offices across the state, GaMEP offers a solution-based approach through coaching, implementation, and training in areas such as:
Energy – integrating best practices in energy efficiency and management into industrial and commercial organizations.
Strategic Planning – developing and incorporating organization-wide strategies into overall business plan and day-to-day operational tactics.
Innovation Management – creating and sustaining a process to grow businesses and feed an ideation pipeline.
Process Improvement – applying continuous improvement solutions in lean (5S, value stream mapping, kanban, kaizen events, and more) to manufacturing plant and front-end processes.
ISO Standards – implementing and modifying quality- (ISO 9001), environmental- (ISO 14001), safety and health (OHSAS 18001) and energy-management (ISO 50001) systems.
Sustainability – incorporating sustainable environmental and safety solutions.
Technology Acceleration – Locating and transferring technology to improve internal processes and/or market existing technology out to improve competitiveness into new or adjacent markets.
To learn more about GaMEP visit: http://gamep.org/
Georgia Tech Extension Professionals are research personnel that fulfill the extension and service mission of Georgia Tech to the State of Georgia and beyond. This mission includes, but is not limited to, technology-based economic development, technology commercialization and deployment, entrepreneurship, start-up company incubation, and business/industry outreach. Extension Professionals also provide educational programs for business and industry in support of these missions through facilitating and fostering increased industrial engagement and sponsorship of applied research activities at Georgia Tech. Extension Professional appointments are based on the merit and special qualifications of the individual and follow the same general ranking, hiring, and promotion principles as other professional research faculty ranks.
Existing within EI2 are several echelons of Extension Professionals (Engineering Project Manager Levels I, II, & Sr.) each defined in order to specify differentiating experience levels & career stages. These levels provide opportunity for career progression with an additional option to pursue a managerial track.
Applicants are required to submit a single PDF document containing a resume and a one-page cover letter of interest. Email PDF application document to: William A. Meffert, email@example.com and C/C Gregory Owen: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final applicant(s) will be required to undergo an extensive pre-employment background check including verification of education credentials through providing “official” (non-student issued) higher education transcripts; a detailed online past performance report from at least 3-5 professional references; and verification of any other applicable credential information submitted with application.